Florida Residency for Tuition Purposes FAQ

Click a question to be directed to the answer.

Why do I need to fill out this form to qualify for in-state tuition?

Per Florida statute, all students are classified as a non-Florida resident until they submit a "Florida Residency Declaration." This declaration and any supporting documents need to be submitted and processed before the deadline. Visit www.fsw.edu/calendars to find the deadline to "Apply for a change of Florida residency status."

Back to FAQ List

Who is considered a Florida Resident for Tuition Purposes?

A Florida Resident for Tuition Purposes is a person who (or a dependent person whose parent or legal guardian) has established and maintained legal residence in Florida for at least 12 consecutive months immediately prior to the first day of class for the term that the student plans to enroll. They must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident alien, or legal alien granted indefinite stay by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Back to FAQ List

What if I don't qualify for residency for tuition purposes?

Some students may be able to qualify for out-of-state tuition waivers, appeal the residency determination, or reclassify in a future term (which requires more qualifying documents than needed for initial classification.) Learn more about appeals.

Back to FAQ List

Am I guaranteed Florida residency status?

No, submission of the "Florida Residency Declaration" does not guarantee Florida residency for tuition purposes.

Back to FAQ List

What do I do if I am missing documentation?

If a "Florida residency Declaration" is submitted with incomplete or insufficient documentation, the applicant will be notified and required to submit additional documents before processing. All documents are subject to verification.

Back to FAQ List

I'm under 24 but do not want to use my parent/legal guardian's information for declaring residency. What can I do?

If you meet the qualifications for completing the form as an independent, you can use your own name as the claimant and your own information. If you do not meet the qualifications, parent/legal guardian information must be used.

Back to FAQ List

Who should be listed as "claimant" on the form?

The first step to completing your Florida Residency Declaration is to determine whose information and documents will be used to determine whether or not you meet the qualifications to be considered a Florida resident for tuition purposes. The person whose information you will be used is called "claimant" on the form. Many students under the age of 24 will be considered "dependent" and will use their parent/legal guardian's information unless they meet one of the qualifications listed under "independent" below.


Claimant = Student

Use student's name and documentation as claimant if you meet one of the following:

  • 24 or older
  • Married
  • Veteran
  • Has Dependents
  • Is/was in foster care
  • Earned annual income of $9,655



Claimant = Parent/Legal Guardian

Use parent/legal guardian's name and documentation as claimant if you do not meet any of the qualifications for "independent" and meet one of the following:

  • Under 24
  • Eligible to be claimed as a "dependent" on parent/legal guardian's last tax filing
Back to FAQ List

How do I check the status of a submitted Residency Declaration Form?

To view your residency status as an FSW applicant or recently admitted student:

  1. Visit https://www.fsw.edu/portal/pipeline#save_on_tuition
  2. Navigate to "Apply for In-State Tuition" 
  3. View your "Current Resident Status for Tuition Purposes"
    1. It will read "Florida Resident" if you have been approved.

You can also view your residency status in the FSW Student Portal if the term in which you are seeking residency is open for registration:

  1. Login to your FSW Student Portal
  2. Navigate to the "Registration and Student Profile" box/card
  3. Click "Student Profile"
  4. Make sure the term in which you intend to begin classes is selected
  5. If "Florida Resident" is indicated for "Residency", you have been classified as a Florida Resident for Tuition Purposes and will receive in-state tuition.
Back to FAQ List

What kinds of documents can be used to prove Florida Residency for Tuition Purposes?

Two or more documents must be provided, at least one must be a "Tier 1" document as defined below.

Tier 1 Documents

Claimant must provide at least one of the following (more details can be found on the form):

  • Florida Voter's Registration Card
  • Florida Driver's License
  • Florida Vehicle Registration
  • Proof of permanent home in Florida occupied as primary residence for 12 consecutive months prior to the student's enrollment.
  • Proof of a homestead exemption in Florida.
  • Official transcripts from a Florida high school for multiple years (2 or more years), if the Florida high school diploma or GED was earned within the last 12 months.
  • Proof of permanent full-time employment in Florida for at least 30 hours per week for a 12-month period.
Tier 2 Documents

Claimant may provide one or more documents from the following categories to demonstrate residency in Florida (to be used in conjunction with one document from above):

  • Declaration of domicile in Florida in accordance with s. 222.17, Florida Statutes
  • Florida professional or occupational license
  • Florida incorporation
  • Document evidencing family ties in Florida
  • Proof of membership in a Florida-based charitable or professional organization
  • Any other documentation that supports your request for resident status, including, but not limited to, utility bills and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments; a lease agreement and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments; or an official state, federal, or court document evidencing legal ties to Florida
Back to FAQ List

What do I do if I am a non-Florida resident?

If you are unable to prove Florida Residency for tuition purposes as outlined above, you will automatically be assessed out-of-state tuition rates. No documentation is necessary to be charged out-of-state tuition rates; however, if you would like to clear your "Residency Documentation" hold, you can complete the Residency Declaration eForm acknowledging out-of-state status.

Out of State Tuition Waivers

Some students may qualify for out-of-state tuition waivers. See the Florida Statute for all possible waivers and email admissions@fsw.edu if you believe you qualify along with all necessary documentation proving your status.

Back to FAQ List

Why do I have a Residency Documentation hold?

This hold is just a reminder to submit residency paperwork for discounted tuition as a Florida resident or to acknowledge acceptance of out-of-state tuition. It will not prevent class registration.

Back to FAQ List

How do I clear the Residency Documentation hold?

If you submit the correct documentation, the hold will be removed. If you submitted more than 7 days ago and the hold hasn't been removed, check for an email from ProEd (sent to the email address you used on the form) informing you of further action required. Learn more about holds.

Back to FAQ List
Print Article


Article ID: 162063
Mon 5/13/24 10:18 AM
Wed 6/12/24 10:44 AM

Related Articles (3)

This FAQ outlines the various holds that can be placed on a student's account at FSW, explaining what each hold indicates and the steps required to resolve it in order to register for classes. It emphasizes that some requirements must be completed in a particular order, so students should read the hold descriptions carefully.
How to appeal a decision of "non-Florida Resident" for tuition purposes.
How to request reclassification of your Florida Residency for Tuition Purposes status.

Related Services / Offerings (1)

This form collects information about your group to help us arrange a personalized and informative group campus tour at FSW.